[TowerTalk] Bulkhead Rotor Connection?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Bulkhead Rotor Connection?
From: jperalta@tampabay.rr.com (jperalta@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Apr 22 11:12:50 2003
Check with the Rotor Doc he can supply the Amp 9 pin waterproof connectors that
Hy-Gain uses on their new rotors. You can use them in either in line or
bulkhead configuration.

Julio, W4HY

> Depending on how many wires and how much current, here are some
> alternatives:
> 1) Circular MIL type connectors. Kind of pricey if new, but available
> surplus from many places at lower prices. There's a variety(!) of
> configurations available along with feedthroughs etc. If you use the larger
> pin sizes, they're very rugged and tolerant of crud and mismating.. The ones
> that pack 100 pins in a 1" shell are less so.
> 2) Plastic circular connectors (from AMP) which are functionally very
> similar to the metal ones, but much, much cheaper. (<$10 for a pair). You
> can make these waterproof with silicone in the backshell and/or gasketing.
> Places like Digikey, Mouser and Newark stock these. Even though plastic,
> they're pretty rugged (you can step on them and they don't break)
> 3) XLR connectors are available up to 8 pins, but they get kind of pricey
> for the 4 pin and greater configurations.
>
> The above three are designed for lots of mate and demate cycles, and are
> quick to operate (particularly the XLR), which is important if you're going
> to be connecting and disconnecting the cables a lot for stowing/etc.
>
> There are some specialized connectors made for industrial control equipment
> in a variety of configurations. Check the Daniel Woodhead or Hubbell
> catalogs. Lemo also makes nice (but expensive) connectors.
>
> I'd stay away from D-sub type connectors, which aren't really designed for
> lots of mate/demate cycles.
> RJ45 type modular connectors (as used on network and phone cables) are
> another possibility, but I'm not sure about the current carrying capacity.
> They're also prone to having the little locking tab come off and not very
> good in a wet/dirty environment.

Weather Stations",
and lot's more.  Call Toll Free, 1-800-333-9041 with any questions and ask for
Sherman,
W2FLA.