[TowerTalk] Measuring DX Performance of Verticals

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Measuring DX Performance of Verticals
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Wed May 7 12:55:22 2003
At 09:49 AM 5/7/03 -0700, Ward Silver wrote:
>The bottom line is that trying to make any kind of an A/B comparison over a
>sky-wave path is pretty much an exercise in futility.  Signal levels swing
>wildly +/-20 dB in a matter of seconds, so comparisons would have to be made
>on a second-to-second basis..  You would need synchronized antenna switching
>systems and some fairly sophisticated test gear to acquire the data and
>separate it into the individual signals.  This is out-of-scope for amateur
>tests and unlikely to provide any real meaningful data.  I have no reason at
>this point to question correlation between the range tests and performance
>over a low-angle sky-wave path.  Introducing the sky-wave path would also
>introduce so many uncontrolled variables that any conclusions would be of
>questionable validity. These are all code words for, "We are not going to do
>sky-wave tests."
>
>Now, about the horizontal-vs.-vertical question...there are many instances
>in which horizontal antennas have been observed to work better over DX paths
>than vertical and vice versa.  The angle at which signals arrive changes
>dramatically over the course of a single band opening, as well as the
>preferred polarization.  Having different antennas on the low-bands often
>pays big benefits, no question.  This is code for "You can't have enough
>antennas."

Couldn't the signal produced at the VERY low angles between local sites
vary substantially depending on the extent to which a given vertical design
is affected by ground quality and/or radial fields.  This is sort of a
cousin of the question I had about the tribander tests, but if anything
would appear to be a more serious issue with verticals.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database was updated 11 April 03.
Are you current? www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm