[TowerTalk] Base for Wilson MT-61/US Tower MA-550

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Base for Wilson MT-61/US Tower MA-550
From: jeff.klein@hewitt.com (Jeff Klein)
Date: Tue May 20 17:46:32 2003
I had the MT 61 up for many years Mike. However, I never put in the top
section (belive it has 3 sections of tubing) so mine only went up about 41
ft and only needed one set of guys.  I've also had a US Tower MA-40 and
now several bigger UST towers up at my QTH. All of my UST's have been
crankup/tiltovers so they need big bases. Even the MA-40 needed a 3 X 3 X
4 ft deep concrete base. But the Wilson was not a tiltover (at least the
one I had) and it also needed guys. If it's similar to what your friend
has the base was something like 2 X 2 X 2. Someone else will probably
confirm but if you need me to I can go out and measure it tonite. While
the tower's been down for several years the base is still there, hi! IIn
addition to the guys, I had it bracketed to the house near the top of the
lowest section.  To the best of my recollection , even though I nly used
the bottom 2 sections I made the base the same size as the full tower
needed. A 2 X 2 X 2 base is sure a lot easier than the 5 X 5 X 8 hole I
needed for my new UST!  CU, Jeff K1TEO