[TowerTalk] Re: Grounding and Insurance WD4K

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Grounding and Insurance WD4K
From: dxcc350@xemaps.com (dxcc350@xemaps.com)
Date: Thu May 22 18:16:23 2003
Yep, you're missing something.  You need to ask the agent to
provide you with a "replacement cost" policy for your
personal property.  Most home owners insurance policies will
  apply depreciation to that 7 year old FT1000D and the rest
of your ham equipment.  Replacement cost insurance will
allow you to purchase the newest version of whatever
equipment you have in case of a total loss.  You want to
make sure that you tower/antenna structural additional
coverage is also set at replacement cost. Things like the
XYL's fur coat, grandma's silver and all the jewelry you've
bought on those dxpeditions need to be specially
scheduled/listed to receive any but the smallest payment.

Each of us should review our homeowners insurance policy to
make sure that the house is covered by at least 80% of its
value (less the value of he land/basement) so that the
company will pay 100% of the cost of rebuilding.  If your
coverage on the rebuilding of your home is less than 80% of
its value, many companies will reduce their payment for the
loss.

I'm not an insurance agent, just a retired lawyer with too
much time on my hands. Maybe I should schedule a second
Dayton seminar besides "Getting It Up & Keeping It Up".

73, Jim O'Connell, W9WU  ARRL Volunteer Counsel, Central Div.