[TowerTalk] tribander stacking

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] tribander stacking
From: k4oj@tampabay.rr.com (Jim White, K4OJ)
Date: Sat Jun 7 22:06:56 2003
There is a good diagram of clearance you get from their sidemount at the
WX0B Array Solution Site...while your IIX size is different this will
show the downfall of having the driven element in the middle of the beam...

You might try to re-optimize your antenna with YO with a greater
distance between director and driven element if it were a monobander but
with a tribander about all you could do is to counter weight one end so
that the balance point shifts far away from the middle of the boom.

Once saw this done with a quad (Natan you still on this reflector?) - a
pretty long piece of 2" water pipe was layed in the middle of a 3 inch
boom to create the shift in balance point needed for the element to miss
the tower... when I design 4 element antennas I use heavier wall tubing
on the part of the boom which is closer to the director end of the boom
than at the reflector end to help offset the way the driven and
reflector are clustered at the back end... sometimes this is not enough
and then I purchase 2" electrical PVC (grey) and slide it over the boom
to find the sweet spot... initially you can simply suspend it below the
boom with duct tape to see if a pieces length can be altered... I try
and make that piece align with a boom truss point and then pass the
eyebolt the truss uses through the PVC which is all it needs - it ain't
goin' nowhere!

Bottom line is you may wish to shop a different triband beam than the
atypical A3S/CL33

73,

Jim, K4OJ