[TowerTalk] Advice requested

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Advice requested
From: bill@axelrods.org (Bill Axelrod)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:13:53 2003
I finally have gotten the go-ahead from the neighborhood antenna police
(read home owners association) to put up a mini beam on a mast at about 30
ft or so.  That's a pretty big breakthrough.

So, before I get too deep into it, I would appreciate some advice from the
Tower Talk community.

One.  What mini beam would you recommend and why?  Hex Beam?  Cushcraft
MA5B?  Force 12 C3SS, etc.?  Any directivity and gain is better than my
current wire and vertical antennas.  Am interested in all bands 20 thru 10.
Low profile and keeping the neighbors from attacking are the paramount
considerations.  They don't see lots of aluminum in the air as a thing of
beauty.

Two.  A "real" tower is out of the question.  They'll allow me a "TV type"
mast as long as it and the antenna are not visible from the street.   That
limits the total height to 30 ft or so.   And  guy wire/ropes are pretty
much a no go for perceived aesthetic reasons.  Since a mast with antenna
usually requires guys, this restriction adds a challenge.   I do have a deck
with a 6x6 corner support that is buried in concrete.  The top is about 12
feet up off the ground.  Perhaps I could anchor a mast there with some kind
of support and thrust bearing in lieu of guys.

Am open to all suggestions and advice.

I'm sure there are some good ideas out there.  Thanks in advance for the
help and (hopefully) for no flames.

73...   Bill K3WA