[TowerTalk] homemade beams

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] homemade beams
From: jimlux@earthlink.net (Jim Lux)
Date: Sat Jun 21 17:28:15 2003
There are two approaches..
If the tube you're sticking it into has an ID very close to that of the OD
of the insulation of the inner coax, then you can probably use the databook
values for the coax.

If not, then you're looking at a bit more complex thing.. If you've got some
magic way of holding the coax centered in the tube, then it can be
considered as two coaxial capacitors in series, one with air dielectric, the
other with whatever the coax used.  If the coax isn't centered, it's a whole
lot more complex.

In any case, the formula for capacitance of coax is:

C = 2 * Pi * Eo * Er * ln(router/rinner) * length

Eo is the permittivity of free space 8.85 pF/m, Er is the relative
dielectric constant: 1 for air, around 2-3 for most plastics
router is the inside diameter of the outer conductor
rinner is the OD of the inner conductor
all dimensions in meters

That should get you close...