[TowerTalk] Combo guyed base, free standing tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Combo guyed base, free standing tower
From: W4EF@dellroy.com (Michael Tope)
Date: Sun Jun 22 14:12:27 2003
Yes, this probably could be done, but not without careful
structural analysis of the interface between the guyed tower
and the aluminum tower. The free standing aluminum tower
would normally be planted into a large concrete base designed
to withstand the large reaction forces generated by the tower.
And besides, if you are really planning to go to 150', the 100'
long free standing aluminum tower that you plant on the HD
guyed 50' tower won't be cheap or lightweight. My guess is
that when its all said and done, the hybrid approach will still
cost you about the same (if not more) than a properly
designed free standing tower with an set of auxillary guys
installed at 50' (I am assuming of course that you do it RIGHT
in both cases).

This is a very serious design challenge. Do not try to do
this yourself unless you are a competent civil or structural
engineer.

73 de Mike, W4EF...............