[TowerTalk] Pete Smith Virus...

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Pete Smith Virus...
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Sun Jun 22 22:40:26 2003
At 05:49 PM 6/22/03 -0700, Dino Darling wrote:
>Hey Pete, check your system, you are sending out a virus (possibly)!

No, happily.  This is characteristic of this particular virus's design.  It
takes part of a real message received by the infected machine, modifies the
sender's address to substitute a different ISP, and attaches itself.  If
you look closely, you'll see the following:

The return address given is n4zr@ix.netcom.com.  My ISP is adelphia.net and
I use contesting.com for all my reflector posts.

The truncated body of the message is part of one I posted on towertalk
about 4-5 weeks ago.

The full header shows this is coming from someone in Finland -- If one of
the towertalkians in OH recognizes:

         by gw01.mail.saunalahti.fi (Postfix) with SMTP
         id 4412D9CA09; Mon, 23 Jun 2003 02:41:33 +0300 (EEST)"

as belonging to a particular friend or colleague, perhaps you can tell him
or her.  I suspect this is probably a dynamically-assigned IP address, but
don't know this ISP.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database was updated 17 June 03.
Are you current? www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm