[TowerTalk] Rohn 25G installation basics

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn 25G installation basics
From: w8aef@worldnet.att.net (Paul Playford)
Date: Tue Jun 24 00:21:12 2003
The Rohn Catalog that I received on Mar 15, 1968 says that a 40' 25G tower
calls for a 2' x 2' x 4' deep reinforced concrete base that contains 4 #6
vertical bars and 4 #3 horizontal lateral ties (each tie bar is bent into a
square that surrounds the 4 vertical bars), all bars contained withing the
concrete, guyed in three directions at the 20' and 40' level and tied to
concrete anchors 3' x 3' x 1', reinforced on the top and near sides with
1/2" rebar maximum 12" on center with the bottom of the anchor 3' below the
surface of the ground and 35' from the base of the tower.

Then the catalog shows an SDB25G single drive-in base that has one spike out
the bottom that appears to be maybe 24" long that is driven into the
ground - no concrete, and a note that says "towers mounted on these bases
must be bracketed or guyed at all times, etc".  Further there is a note that
"The extra strength of the No. 25G allows it to be self-supporting provided
a house bracket is used and can go 35 feet above this bracket under normal
conditions, etc"

That said, I presently have 45 feet of 25G planted in a 3' x 3' x 3'
concrete block, no guy wires, and a large TV antenna on top (this has
survived an 85mph microburst).  At a previous location I had 45 feet of 25G
in a 2' x 2' x 5' concrete block guyed three ways (3" dia screw-in anchors,
no concrete) at the 40 foot level that supported a Hygain 204BA.  And I
climbed both towers and felt secure.

I would be very comfortable installing an h.f. antenna on my 45 foot TV
tower - AFTER I installed guy wires at the 40 foot level.

An ounce of guy wire is worth a ton of concrete in my book.

de Paul, W8AEF

ZF2TA  FO8DX  FO0PLA  8Q7AA  XZ0A