[TowerTalk] Common-mode current on feedline

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Common-mode current on feedline
From: olinger@bellsouth.net (Guy Olinger, K2AV)
Date: Thu Jun 26 09:54:56 2003
Would note here that Chuck was measuring current key down, which is a
different measurement than what ON4UN was making.

Even if Chuck's central piece of coax was isolated by 100 db from the
coax either side, the transmitting antenna is able to induce some
current in the central piece just because it's lying on the ground in
the vicinity and it's a conductor.

The intent of the chokes is to keep the central conductor from BEING
IN SIGNIFICANT PLAY, either by effecting the pattern or local noise
pickup by DIRECT UNIMPEDED connection to the antenna, or along the
shield into the shack and pickup by miscellaneous devices, not to
mention RF in the shack.

The effect of the central piece of coax between the chokes is just
another piece of wire.

length, lay it on the ground, and make the current measurement key
down. You may be surprised how much current is induced on it. For
evaluation purposes that amount of current will need to be factored
out.

As an aside, the "choking" ability of various devices seems to be
overstated and there is little around about measurements in actual
field situations.

73, Guy.