[TowerTalk] re: Cample clamps versus big grips

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] re: Cample clamps versus big grips
From: n7vm@lgcy.com (Bill Ralston)
Date: Fri Jul 4 10:10:06 2003
Frederick N5WLA asked which is better...

I used clamps on my first 50 foot tower.  I spent over a month building
three guy wires.  When I put up the tower, one of the guys slipped partly
through the clamps and would have completely failed except for the "served
end".  If you do use clamps, follow the Rohn catalog drawing which has you
serving the ends of the wires extending past the last clamp.

I used grips on my current 100 foot tower.  I spent a day building six guy
wires.  I have not had a problem with any of the grips.  We even had to move
two of them the day we put up the tower because the guys were just a bit too
long.

Although the grips seems expensive, the time they will save you is worth the
$$, and the better reliability is priceless.

73 de Bill N7VM