[TowerTalk] tower disassembly questions

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] tower disassembly questions
From: linux@kolb.net (Linuxwhat)
Date: Fri Jul 18 23:53:28 2003
I recently purchaded a 200' guyed tower for next to nothing and have some
questions on disassembly.

If an expert lives farly close to Jackson, TN I would consider paying for
assistance.

At this point I don't know a lot about the tower other then it has 20" faces
and is made from 2" angle iron. I am going to inspect the tower in a few days
and need some tips on what to look for to determine if I am going to attempt to
get it down.

I am hopeful that since it is made from angle rather then from tube it will be
a lot easier to evaluate it's structural integruity. Ofter tower made from tube
have conceled damage from rust and improper bolt installation.

I plan to hire an 80ton crane capable of lifting 8000lbs at 200' feet.

I have 3 different ideas I am considering. I am open to other suggestions.

1. I am thinking the safest and fastest approach will be to hire a crane to
attach to the top. Lift up and remove sections from the bottom and then just
lower it down in sections. Maybe remove 10 or 20' at a time from the bottom
until we get down to 100' then lay it over.

2. Another option is to attach a little over half the way up and lay the tower
down. My fear is that it isn't stong enoughf and may bend from the weight.

3. Atach to the top and unbolt the top 100' feet and lay it over