[TowerTalk] Carabiners

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Carabiners
From: w5lu@hotmail.com (S. J. Blackwell)
Date: Sun Jul 20 00:41:30 2003

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
>Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 23:02:39 -0400
>
>First of all, the proper spelling is "Carabiners".
>
>Second, there are all kinds of carabiners. The most important categories
>for us
>to consider are Locking and Non-Locking carabiners.

I would like to add a little. I have minimal experience tower climbing. I do
have some sailing experience and have used safety lines connected to
harneses to keep me on board in bad weather. They are not of much use, mine
having saved my life only twice. On one occasion in a fall from the mast
(50'), and another in a man overboard situation in a No. Atlantic gale.

Now to the meat-- Please, please, never trust your life to any non locking
device. On one occasion I had a snap shackle open for no reason, on another
occasion I was using a non locking device supplied with a highly recommemded
safety harness. Both times I just happened to look down and was surprised to
find myself disconnected from the boat. Both devices were rated for 2000#
working load. Needless to say, a useless number if it is disconnected. These
events led me to get locking devices for my personal use. A decision for
which I am thankful, if no other reason than a feeling of comfort.

Again stay locked until you make the decision to disconnect.

73 and stay safe
Sam, W5LU
SY World Enough
Two Atlantic crossings, North African cruise and West Indian cruises, 1989 -