[TowerTalk] RG303

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] RG303
From: nielsen@oz.net (Bob Nielsen)
Date: Tue Jul 29 00:49:02 2003
On Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 10:17:46PM -0400, Pete Smith wrote:
> At 06:26 PM 7/28/03 -0700, you wrote:
> >A better choice than RG-142 would be RG-400, which has the same
> >dimensions and teflon dielectric, but instead of copperweld has a
> >stranded center conductor (as does RG-303), making it easier to wind on
> >a toroid and much less likely to cause cold flow displacement of the
> >center conductor in the dielectric.
>

> Copperweld?  RF Connection describes the center conductor as silver-plated
> solid copper, 18-gauge.  With the teflon dielectric, is cold flow really an
> issue?  I know it is with foam, but thought the harder plastics were
> probably immune.

Dunno.  Since "RG" no longer implies mil-spec, perhaps some
manufacturers have switched to solid copper for non-MIL-C-17 products.
The Belden catalog shows silver-plated copper covered steel (Belden
#83242).

Another concern is that a copperweld center conductor will fail much
sooner than stranded copper if subjected to repeated flexing.  I
discovered this while running a life test on RG-142B/U feeding a moving
antenna for a missile application several years ago (which led to
switching to RG-400).

Bob, N7XY

Teflon may cold flow less than foam, but it is still a concern.

--
Bob Nielsen, N7XY                          n7xy@n7xy.net
Bainbridge Island, WA                      http://www.n7xy.net