[TowerTalk] RE: [CQ-Contest] Testing Stubs

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] RE: [CQ-Contest] Testing Stubs
From: kq2m@earthlink.net (Robert Shohet)
Date: Mon Aug 4 13:19:58 2003
Yeah, but what happens when the stubs get "testy"?    :-)

I made mine out of Fused Disc 75 ohm hardline cut for a compromise of SSB/CW
and I can tell you that even though I measured and cut them VERY carefully,
they do not work very well.  They do however raise the swr and reflected
power on a few bands and make their use on 40 meters (with a 40-2cd) out of
the question.

While it is possible that cutting them for a compromise freq. was not a good
idea, I just don't think that the stubs work very well at all.  I had
wondered if this had something to do with my using 50 ohm coax (RG213) with
stubs cut from 75 ohm Fused Disc hardline.  Although, when cut to the
appropriate electrical lengths, I don't think that this should not really
matter.

The manual Dunestar 500's work pretty well and help reduce the crud, but the
absolute BEST way to reduce interstation interference is to separate your
towers as much as humanly possible!

73
Bob KQ2M

> Mike,
>
> I agree that double-shielded coax might help (in fact, I should do that in
> my shack!) I've found that stubs and filters don't always make a big
> difference in the S-meter reading at the harmonic frequencies, but can
> nevertheless be very effective. What I mean is, I don't think anything
will
> reduce a 2nd harmonic to the point where you can receive within 1-2 Khz of
> it. However, effective stubs or filters can make it possible to receive
> *more* than 1-2 KHz away.
>
> The first thing I look for is interference away from the harmonic
frequency,
> up and down the band. For example, let's say you are transmitting on 7010
> and listening on 14020. The signal strength might be S9+20 at the 2nd
> harmonic, but when you tune more than 1-2 KHz away from it, the noise
should
> go away and there should be no S-meter reading. That's good. What's bad is
> when you can hear that 2nd harmonic signal all over the 20m band!
Depending