[TowerTalk] Not in my neighborhood!

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Not in my neighborhood!
From: k4oj@tampabay.rr.com (Jim White, K4OJ)
Date: Thu Aug 14 00:02:39 2003
Ya know....

A funny thing happened when the Board of County Commissioners met to
discuss the antenna tower question at our family QTH.

They were very concerned that by allowing us to pursue our antenna plans
they could be creating an environment in that particular neighborhood
which would lead to a lot of hams putting up towers in there...

Needless to say the 150 plus hams whop supported our family by showing
up at the county commissioners meeting all looked at each other and
smiled knowing the last thing in the world any self respecting ham would
want to do is move in close to someone who could overload his receiver!

I swear this is true! One member of the BCC said "we would not want this
development to become overrun with these radio towers".  Fortunately it
was not necessary to bring to the commissioners attention that this
would not happen...

I mention this, as a friend had pointed out that the idea of creating a
directory of municipalities that are "ham friendly" could lead to high
ham population density there!  Guess I should log my comments that it is
hell trying to put an antenna tower up in my community to discourage
other hams looking for land - eh?

I feel that the arrays at our station sufficiently dissuade another ham
from moving in "next door".  And once again we have found yet another
reason to have big towers - to keep help other hams away from your QTH! ;-)

Jim, K4OJ

p.s. - to those who asked - in an earlier post I mentioned TA - that is
Terrain Analyzer (software for predicting antenna performance over
non-level ground)