Re: [TowerTalk] Gamma match

To: va3pl@cuic.ca
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Gamma match
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 14:09:51 -0700
At 04:37 PM 8/22/2003 -0400, you wrote:
Wow....thanks Jim....I think I need to educate myself a lot before
attempting answer to this. I never thought that driving stepper motor is
so simple.
Well I am looking a simple solution to this. I think I saw a guy at the
flea market selling big stepper motors. They were nice and shiny looking
devices but I think too complicated for what I know about them.
I thought that just simple motor with gear box will do. I think I need
perhaps 1/3 or better 1/4 rev/sec and I can tune in small bumps of the
motor.

If you need small bumps, a gear motor is a better way to go. Take a look at the black and decker electric screwdriver and see if it's the right kind of speed and torque. They're real easy to modify, and they have the advantage that you can usually find an appropriate connection that fits the hex socket on the end. They run off 3-4 Volts, but almost any run of the mill wall wart will turn it.

Steppers are easy to use in low performance apps, but don't have the simple "fwd/stop/rev" kind of interface that a DC gear motor does.