[TowerTalk] Lightning Recovery

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Lightning Recovery
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 08:08:19 -0400
I'm now planning repairs to my tower that was struck by lightning last week. Discrete items (like rotators and relay boxes) aside, should I plan on replacing all the coax and control cables that run up the tower, or can I reasonably take a more selective approach? I'm guessing that once the hardware is disconnected, I'll be able to tell with an ohmmeter if there are any open circuits or gross short circuits between conductors, but subtler damage to coax may be a different matter. I'm thinking of using my MFJ-259B to look for faults and excessive loss. Anything else I should do?

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database was updated August 4.
123 stations were added or updated.
Are you current? www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm