Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding a bracketed tower

To: "Mack McLaughlin" <k4mir@comcast.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding a bracketed tower
From: "Randy Wing" <rwing@southwind.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 00:20:42 -0500
Mark,

"Do the best you can."  With that in mind...  I am not an expert - your
mileage may vary.

1.  You are trying to dissipate a lightning strike into as much "ground" as
possible.   I would "fan" the three legs to three #4 copper wires at 45 deg,
90 degrees, and 135 degrees from your house.  At the end of these three
legs, I would sink your ground rods.  From these ground rods, I would put at
least 2 more #4 copper wire lengths per ground rod.  I would evenly
distribute them.

2.  I wouldn't hook your #4 wires into a loop around your house.  Don't you
really want the lightning energy to go away from your house?

3.  If you have a chronicly damp part of your yard within 20 or 30 feet, I
would make an effort to get at least one ground rod in that area.  Break up
the ground wire with the ground rods at 10 foot intervals.

I personally have 5 ground wires in a star around my tower.  Each with a
ground rod.  haven't been hit, yet.  I have had a near miss.  A 50 foot tree
got hit about 200 feet from my 105 foot tower...  :)  That doesn't make it
definitive that I had a good setup - its just proof that I am probably still
going to get hit someday.  When I do, I want to have done what I can to
reduce the chance of injury or damage.  I am always reminded of the two
kinds of motorcycle riders - those that have been in an accident - and those
that haven't yet been in an accident...  :)

Randy
N0LD

Randy