RE: [TowerTalk] draft letter in support of tower permit...

To: "'George'" <gclute@comcast.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] draft letter in support of tower permit...
From: "David Cook" <davec@netdave.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 14:05:39 -0700
And a very good point on your part as well George. Yes, it was with great
trepidation that I finally talked with Mr. Scandola, the city planner. Just
as you pointed out, it could have gone either way. Mercer Island, for those
following this thread, is a somewhat exclusive community. So I was greatly
worried that the city planner would say, "no way".

So yes, it is one of the rock/hard place situations. If David goes ahead and
installs his tower "in the dead of night" and gets away with it, then that's
great. But, as you also pointed out, the city has gobs of cash and could
very easily make our lives miserable if they set their minds to it. Remember
the tree trimming restriction they tried to pass off on us a few years ago?

I think that what David's hoping for is the best outcome, which is to help
the city officials understand what is reasonable and fair to both us hams
and to our community. By volunteering our time to serve as the EC backup for
our community, we should be repaid in kind with a bit of understanding and
leeway for the antennas we need for proper operation. If all I needed was to
get on the 2 meter MIRO repeater and yack, I'd go down to Radio Shack and by
a CB rig.

So what happened with your tower then? I assume you haven't taken it down.
When did the city engineer tell you that?

73, George. This is a really interesting conversation, it's good to hear
your thoughts on this.

-- Dave

<<---snipped previous lenghty discussion text--->>