Re: [TowerTalk] Tower zoning application

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower zoning application
From: <hdmc38@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 19:11:20 -0400
David
    I'd have to agree with Jim.One pissed off neighbor or one phone call is all
it takes to start the process.And you won't like it when it happens.I made a
post on 03/10/03 asking about permits in Broward county Fl.The response was
good luck!I just wrote the the check yesterday for the building and electrical
permits.Seven months from concept to permit.But it was worth it.They can call
all they want now.BTW Broward county Fl requires you to engineer for 140 MPH
wind loads!Another big challenge.So don't write a letter,get your plans and
make application.Make friends with every plan reviewer,clerk and inspector you
can find.By the way the clerks have one of the hardest jobs there.Piss one off
your screwed,make one your friend and it will go much smoother.Do it right now
and it'll be worth it later.Read those LDR regs and show them what you wan't to
do.Don't say I'll settle for this if I can't have that.Your entitled to what
the codes allow,and thats what you should get.Good luck with your project.Let
us know how it works out.

                         JOE KG4VBR

> From: "Jim Jarvis" <jimjarvis@comcast.net>
> Date: 2003/09/02 Tue PM 04:54:11 EDT
> To: <David@giuliani.org>,  "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
> Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower zoning application
>

> David,
>
> I've kept my comments off the reflector thusfar...but the full
> language of your proposed letter showed up today, with other
> comments, and I felt compelled to comment.
>
> 1) Never forget that what you do will affect other amateurs
> as much as it affects you.
>
> 2) Starting out with an "I'd LIKE to have, but I'll settle for",
> is a negotiating mistake.  Decide what you will build.  Make a
> good physical argument for it, and apply for it.
>
> Well thought out, focussed approaches, attached to pleasant,
> responsible and serious individuals tend to be respected.
>
> My off-reflector comments concerning development of personal
> relationships with professional zoning and planning staff is
> herewith reiterated...it never hurts for them to know you're
> an ok guy, and willing to work with them.  But that you intend
> to get what you need.
>
> THEY look bad if you come to dispute...and you don't want them to
> look bad, right?  So HELP them not look bad...use ARRL VC's for
> guidance...and make a serious proposal.
>
> The fact is, the US Association of Municipal Planners is well aware
> of PRB-1, and losses in federal courts.  Planners are seeking to
> incorporate the (minimal) compliant language in their ordinances,
> while at the same time dealing with what they see as a possible
> proliferation of cellphone sites, including 'micro-cells'.
>
> You need to carefully read your local law, and find out what
> your planner is doing.  Are they expecting to redraft the zoning
> ordinance?
>
> TALK with these guys...sending them formal language in a letter is
> like waving a red flag in front of a bull.  They need to know YOU...
> and understand that you're serious, will work with them, and can
> get them language for incorporation in a modified ordinance, which
> will comply with PRB-1.  If they ask for the language, THEN present it.
> Don't forget...YOU are paying part of their salary.  If they see you
> as serious, then you could be politically serious, too.
>
> N2EA
> All outgoing mail is virus scanned by Norton.

JOE PATRICK
SENIOR PLUMBING/MECHANICAL
INSPECTOR CITY OF BOYNTON BEACH