Re: [TowerTalk] N connectors

To: Peter Sundberg <sm2cew@telia.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] N connectors
From: Tim Duffy K3LR <k3lr@k3lr.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2003 07:48:37 -0500
This exact problem of the center pin pulling back was terrible problem when
Doc,  K8RR had his large contest station in Columbus, Ohio. All of his phasing
and feedlines were "N" type and
the majority had center conductor pull backs in cold weather.

The newer "captivated" center pin N connectors cure the problem. They are
somewhat more expensive, but they solve the pin "floating" problem.

I am using good silver plated teflon PL-259's and SO239's. No problems with
connector failure so far.

Be very careful using any SO239 that is not an Amphenol connector. I had
terrible loss problems and intermittent issues with SO239s that were sent to me
by ICE. Their off shore female UHF
(SO239) connectors would not allow the center pins to seat all the way and the
PL259 center pins were not "grabbed" by the connector either. It was amazing
how things worked so much better
when I changed out over 50 of their SO239 connectors.

73!
Tim K3LR