RE: [TowerTalk] Lowering mast on fixed tower

To: "'Bob Gates'" <regates@kingwoodcable.com>, "'Tower Talk'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Lowering mast on fixed tower
From: "N2TK, Tony" <tony.kaz@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 16:13:51 -0400
Hi Bob. You have a few choices.
Some folks install steps on the mast. With a strong mast this seems to work,
like 2" x .25" wall 4130 steel.
Some install a second rotor plate between the rotor and the top of the
tower. They also install the rotor so that the mast doesn't bottom out on
the rotor. This way they can remove the rotor without worrying about the
mast. You can use a muffler clamp or some other clamp as a safety device on
the mast above the middle rotor plate. For this method you would have to
take off the lower antenna before lowering the mast. Also for lowering and
raising the mast you will need something like a gin pole with the rope
attached to the mast. Don't ever try "slowly" lowering the mast by loosening
the bolts on the thrust bearing. Have a rope firmly attached and sufficient
ground crew to raise or lower the mast.
N2TK, Tony