Re: [TowerTalk] ROHN Work Platform

To: GALE STEWARD <k3nd@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] ROHN Work Platform
From: "Jim White, K4OJ" <k4oj@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 10:30:08 -0400
Better solution - professional work shoes with steel shanks - caution very expensive - I believe Redwing sells these, will prevent pigeon foot - and you are not tied down to working at one height/on one face of the tower...

DO NOT ACCEPT the salesman's word that shoes are steel shank - if you can bend the dole with your hands - they ain't... there are some designs with a partial shank - you need one that runs along a long portion of the sole.

Some of my friends do tower work in sneakers - personally I think they are nutso for doing this - while the shoe itself is comfortable down on the ground it has no resistance to bending when all your weight is on a 5/16 rod!

...I never shelled out for the real shoes but instead bought construction workers high tops which have a hard sole - it does not bend as much and your feet will know it after a stint in one place...

73,

Jim, K4OJ

*** GL to all the PVRC/Isabel target area towertalk guys

GALE STEWARD wrote:
Does ROHN still make and sell the work platform (I
think that's what it's called) that attached to the
tower so you have something to stand on other than the
horizontal braces? I spent an hour+ on the tower after
work on Tuesday night putting the prop pitch back
together after a rebuild. After standing in mostly the
same spot for that length of time my feet were
hurting. Tower is R25. I was wearing heavy work boots
so I had plenty of support. I think they made these
work platforms for R25 and 45. Are they useful or not?
I would have loved to have one on Tuesday!

73, Stew K3ND

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com