RE: [TowerTalk] tiewrapping rebar

To: "'Towertalk'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] tiewrapping rebar
From: "Doug Rehman" <rehman@surveil.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 16:00:56 -0400

See: http://www.polyphaser.com/ppc_PEN1030.asp

> HOWEVER, the idea of running ground through the concrete
> foundation of a tower is probably a bad one.

The Ufer ground is intended to be part of the grounding system, not the
entire system. From my research, it appears to be a very good addition to
the ground system.

> A million amperes flowing through the rebar will cause the
> concrete to explode.  Then your tower comes down.  Might be
> amusing for a few seconds, but the cleanup will hurt.

The bottom part of a tower base section is already inside the concrete. Why
would bonding it to the rebar cause the concrete explode?

Doug
K4DDR