[TowerTalk] BPL/FCC/Power Industry

To: "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] BPL/FCC/Power Industry
From: "Jim Jarvis" <jimjarvis@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 16:18:39 -0000
Folks...this is topical, albeit somewhat off the topic
of this reflector.

I heard both Abernathy's comments and those of Michael Powell, at
a think tank session in Colorado two weeks ago, courtesy of C-Span.

Very clearly, they intend to provide the competitive opportunity
to the power industry, to participate in what is perceived as a high
growth market opportunity,  as contrasted with the zero growth power
industry.  By so doing, they and industry management are hoping to
attract investment capital.  This train will leave the station, unless
congress gets in the act to stop it!

In the wake of Hurricane Isabel, the power industry is struggling to
catch up with damage in MD/DC/VA.  We had over 100,000 people without
power in suburban VA, most of this week.  Your congressman has to be
sensitive to the power industry's performance with their core business,
right now.  He may well be receptive to a 'stick to your knitting'
argument.  Well thought out letters to Congress could save the day.

I won't go into the questionable strategic thinking behind BPL, other
than superficially:  This is only distribution.  Someone else owns content.
Major cable companies already serve 85-90% of the US population.  What
remains are the unprofitable dregs.  Where, exactly, do power companies
think they're going to make money?  Unless I'm missing something, there's
no real market here.

Write your congressman.  Be businesslike.  Be articulate.  As an investor,
there's no way that I would put money into a scheme as technically flawed
as this one.

N2EA