Re: [TowerTalk] Asking for rotator recommendations

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Asking for rotator recommendations
From: Jim Smith <jimsmith@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 22:17:31 -0700
Hi Todd,

For a rotator comparison table you might check out http://www.alfaradio.ca/alfaspid.html
. While I don't think the AlfaSPID will handle your mast diam you might find the table of some interest.

I'm not aware of any HF bias on TT, although most folks seem to be talking about HF stuff. Towers don't know what band you're on.

73 de Jim Smith VE7FO

Todd and Sandy Sprinkmann wrote:

I am looking for rotator recommendations for a tower and long beams that will be going up in the next few months. I ask for your patience, as I am a newer ham who wants to start out doing things the right way. Also, I am not any kind of do-it-yourselfer. Fortunately, I have the right guy to help me.

The tower is 100' of Rohn SSV. The beams will be longish ones for 50, 144, 222 and 432. I think I'm going to use C3i as my supplier. That could be a whole other topic, (to go with M2 or C3i beams) but I believe that TT is devoted to HF issues. I am planning on a 7 el for 50, a 19 el for 144, a 22 el for 222 and a 33 el for 432. The stated wind loads for those 4 antennas add up to 13.75 sq ft.

The commercial antenna guy who will be doing my job is talking about using a 3" mast pipe. Didn't know that size was available, but since it sounds very, very stout, I am all in favor of it. So I would assume that about 15-17' of that pipe will be sticking out the top of the Rohn SSV and the VHF/UHF beams will be OK in that amount of stacking space. The tower guy (32 years experience and a ham) assures me it'll all work out. (I tend to ask lots of questions, hi)

So with those parameters, I ask, how heavy duty a rotor should I use? The tower guy says that a Tailtwister will be plenty. I wonder if it will. The antennas are going to be 100-115' up on a windy, exposed area with a 360 degree view of the horizon. I've looked at the Champion website and apparently, I'm in a 90mph zone.

I want this antenna installation *overbuilt*. Reliability is very key for me.

I entered "rotators" into the TT search engine. It only spit back about 700 entries. I have scanned the day-by-day archives for the past several months. I didn't see any thorough rotator comparisons in that time. So I am asking all of you to load me up with good info. If you had to turn 13-15 sq. ft. of VHF/UHF beams on top of a 100' tower, what would you do it with?

 Thanks and 73,
 Todd Sprinkmann   KC9BQA  EN63/ Wisconsin side