Re: [TowerTalk] Which tower?

To: Tower Talk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Which tower?
From: Jay Terleski <jayt@arraysolutions.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2003 15:09:11 -0500
Tower men,

I have not been on this reflector for quite some time due to my work load
as Array Solutions continues to grow. I had to cut down on the emails and
unfortunately this list (one of my favorites) had to go.

But a friend alerted me to a discussion about free standing towers, so I
took a peek in the archives and was pretty amazed at some of the emails
there. It caused me to sign back up to at least try to put down some
facts. I hope that no one takes offense. So with all due respect to the
authors of those messages, I am certain that good intentions were meant, but
some possible damaging comments were said about AN-Wireless that are
just not so.

First let me also disclose that I am  the primary US Amateur dealer for
The AN Wireless Tower Co. as verifiable by Dan Simmonds at AN Wireless. As
such, I claim the right to respond equally as did US leading supplier of
Trylon towers and balance the thread.

There are some facts that need to be known about the Trylon Titan tower
design that are not being voiced.

K3UG/6 brings up a vital point concerning calculations for this design.
Correspondence with Trylon has revealed that the Trylon Titan tower was
not designed to follow ANY standard or code. Thus, the Trylon Titan tower
design is not capable of meeting the design compliance typically required
by an LBA (Local Building Authority). The accepted standard for tower
design in the US is currently ANSI/TIA/EIA-222-F-1996, of which the
Trylon Titan will not meet. Hard copies of such correspondence are
available upon request from Dan at AN-Wireless.  Do not email me since I
am not going to remain on this list long.

A design investigation was performed on the Trylon Titan tower, which has
found this tower to be in non-compliance with several requirements of
ANSI/TIA/EIA-222-F-1996. This sealed report is viewable online at
www.anwireless.com/dc.html It has been there for some time now and is not
new.   Some of you probably have already found it.

Bottom line of the study clearly show that the Trylon Titan tower is not
capable of receiving a seal for the above mentioned design standard by
Professional Engineers in the US.  Sure you can probably can get a
building permit,  and I bet many have (don't send me the "hey my building
inspector said it was OK" messages I don't have time for it. I ask in
return did they really check down at city hall?  Is it really OK with
you? That is the question you should ask yourself.

AN-wireless does provide certified foundation plans and tower design
drawings with each tower, and if your LBA requires a PE stamp for your
state they are provided for the minimal charge of $250.00 that is all.

The towers break down and are on pallets, shipping is done via truck and
many times Dan will drop off the tower himself in the easter US at a very
favorable rate. He has contracted with a nation wide carrier as well and
can ship for some very good rates.   We even ship them overseas.

The LD towers are not overkill, but his HD towers are excellent platforms
for medium to HD antenna installations. We have done enough
installations between Dan's and my customers to know that most hams
do require the HD tower. It is not that unusual at all, and it is a bargain for what
this tower can hold safely.

Rotator plates are in several sizes, and are very well made.  A typical
tower will have a rotator plate 5 feet below the top plate and Dan has an
intermediate bearing plate option available to help you handle very tall
masts with a second bearing or just run the mast in the 2  and 1/8 inch
hole to help you secure that mast and lift it with a come-a-long if you
had to replace or work on your rotator.  Do they weight 35 lb.?  I don't
know and don't care, they were designed to be what they need to be to
control torque on a large rotator.  And since the tower is strongly built
to the above mentioned spec you may place a large mast in the tower for a
big stack and be sure it will stand.

This is not a claim or allegation, it is verifiable by documentation and
specifications.

Take the time to read the information available on the AN-Wireless site,
then compare and purchase based on what you decide is right for you.  If
you end up purchasing an AN-Wireless tower you will have one of the
finest products available for amateur radio operators.

This is why we chose to make them part of our product line.

Respectfully submitted,
--
Jay Terleski
Array Solutions