[TowerTalk] Re: what bow to use?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: what bow to use?
From: Tom LeClerc W1TJL <w1tjl@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2003 17:55:30 -0700 (PDT)
I've been reading this thread with interest.  I teach archery and have used a
compound bow MANY times to put lines over the trees...  Accurate and easy if
you do it right but honestly a pain if you don't...

In addition to all the safey issues here are a few things I found that are
helpful.  Spend a few dollors (under $20) and buy a bow mounted fishing rod
(all the sports stores carry them for bowfishing for carp and the like).  This
allows one person to do it and everything stays safely out of the way of the
string when shooting.  Second, buy a large closed face spin cast reel.
Spinning reels just don't work because the line wants to jump off of them too
easily.  I have a larger Johnson type spooled with about 200 yds of 20 lb testt
- enough to drap parachute cord or something like it over the tree.  Finally
for about $5.oo you can get a fiberglass fishing arrow that has a hole in the
base just forward of the nock for tying the fishing line.

With the reel mounted on the bow mounted fishing rod and the fishing line tied
to the BACK (near the nock and fletching) of the arrow you get excellent
accuracy and can even thread the line through small openings between branches,
etc.

Safety note - be sure that where the arrow lands (or where the arrow could land
if the string breaks) is clear of people or things that you want to avoid
spearing.  Second, keep fingers, other body parts out of the way of the fishing
line - it can amputate things unwittingly tangled in the line.

I have been able to put line over 90 ft trees with consistency and accuracy.  I
use my normal 60 lb hunting bow and not much else special except what's noted
above.  It works!

73, Tom W1TJL

=====
Tom LeClerc, Amateur Radio Station W1TJL
  (past calls WB1CBY, /VE8, /VE1, /VO8)

            LeClerc Consulting
           email: w1tjl@arrl.net
          PC/Network Consulting