[TowerTalk] Re: Asking for rotator recommendations

To: "Todd and Sandy Sprinkmann" <sprinkies@excel.net>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Asking for rotator recommendations
From: "Didier Juges" <didier@arc.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 22:55:22 -0500
I recently bought a tower + rotor + beams from a local ham who also had a
T2X (Hi-Gain Tail-twister). He had a TH7DX 7el HF beam, a 3 el WARC beam
(A3W Cushcraft I think) and a 2m 13 el (13B2 Cushcraft also) at the top of a
50' tower. The total was in excess of 15 sq.ft. The tower has a nice thrust
bearing (not to be confused with a sleeve bearing) above the rotor.

We are on the North West Florida Gulf coast, and we had 2 cat 3 hurricanes
go within 10 to 25 miles in 1995. The tower is a folding design, but he told
me he was not home and was unable to fold the tower for one of the
hurricanes.

I live 10 miles from him and I lost 16 trees that day, but the tower,
antennas and rotator fared very well. The antennas are rated 80 mph, and
that's about what we got that day.

I now have the same setup, except that the WARC beam has been replaced with
a 4 el 6m beam (I am planning to get a D3W, 30, 17 and 12m dipole Cuscraft
for WARC bands for the occasional DXpedition)

I took the rotator completely apart for an overhaul. It was 10 years old,
and apart from rust in the lower bearing (which was easily cleaned, I
replaced the bearings themselves, the whole set costs less than $20), the
rotator was in extremely good shape. High Gain is very accomodating with
information and spare parts, which are reasonably priced and available. I
believe the rust was due to the fact that when the tower is folded, water
tends to enter the rotor, so I would not recommend leaving the tower folded
very long in the rain, or protect the rotor with a plastic sheet wrapped
around the tower. In the normal upright position, it would be very difficult
for rain to enter the rotor.

I cannot compare to other make or models, but I can only recommend the T2X.
It is very well made and obviously holds well.

I upgraded the rotor controller with the RotorEZ microprocessor based
controller. It makes it so much more convenient that I strongly recommend
that upgrade too. The RotorEZ people will install the kit for you for a
reasonable fee if you don't have a soldering iron :-)

see the setup at http://ko4bb.freeservers.com/ham_radio/
(that was before the 6m beam was installed, and yes, the 2m boomer is
missing the last director)

73,
Didier/KO4BB