Re: [TowerTalk] KT36XA SWR PROBLEM

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] KT36XA SWR PROBLEM
From: Dave Hachadorian <k6ll@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 09:00:44 +0000
On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 18:42:26 -0400 "Peter" <p.pellack@verizon.net> writes:
> I recently converted my KT34XA to an M2 KT36XA.Now I have a 2.0 SWR
> at 14.000 and 28.000.I have rechecked all the dimensions over and
> over but cannot find any thing askew.The phone portion is ok.I have
> tried different wattmeters,cable lengths,baulns etc.At about 4 feet
> off the ground the swr is abt 1.5 but as soon as its gets off the
> ground to about 20 feet the SWR climbs.M2 cannot determine what is
> wrong.Anyone have any ideas? Pete,NO2R

Since the low end is out, it may be something on the rear
driven element.  Are the phasing straps touching something,
or touching each other?

You should be able to put an ohmmeter across the two halves
of the rear driven element, and see close to zero ohms. This
checks continuity through the phasing straps, match assembly,
and balun.

You should also see zero ohms if you connect an ohmmeter from
the 15m capacitor shell to the 10m capacitor shell on each of the
ten triband element halves. This one measurement checks almost
every connection in the element half.

I presume the swr on the XA pre-conversion was ok, so you don't
have the problem with wrong-sized tubing. Just in case, here is
the guidance from M2 on that subject:

"If your old antenna never worked quite right on 15M and was resonant low

in the band, you may have 16" long capacitor tubes with the wrong wall
thickness.  The correct wall thickness is .049 inch (same as the short
10 meter tubes).  If yours measure .058 inch, you should call us (M2)
to obtain the correct tubes."

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ