[TowerTalk] Horizontal loop reconsidered

To: <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Horizontal loop reconsidered
From: "Gene Bigham" <jbigham2@kc.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 12:44:00 -0500
Well after looking at the lay of the land here, I think the horizontal loop is
out for 160.  What I am now considering is utilizing my Aluma Tower with 3
element triband beam in a shunt feed arrangement again.  After doing some
modeling I think this is the most efficient antenna I can install here simply.
The tower can crank to 50 foot level, but remains nested most of the time at
about 35 foot level.  I have some radials under it now extending around the
house and to the perimeter of the back yard, there are probably 10 or 12 of
these now.
My plan is to get the ladder out and climb up to about the 18 foot level and
attach an aluminum tube to the tower, connect a solid gauge copper wire to the
aluminum tube about 2-3 foot away from the tower side and drop it to the
ground, then hook the feed between the solid gauge wire and the ground rod and
radial field termination point at the tower base.  Bring the coax, short run of
only 15 feet to the shack and hook to the tuner and use the tuner to resonate
it.  If time permits I can do some analyzing with the MFJ and try to make this
arrangement resonate on 160 meters to get more efficiency.  If necessary two
drops of solid gauge could be made from the same aluminum tube if it were long
enough to place each wire 2-3 feet from the tower on opposite sides and make a
neo-cage feeder.
Comments, suggestions?
KB0GU looking to get on 160 sometime soon for psk31.