Re: [TowerTalk] Tashjian LM470 review requested

To: spectrum@shs-medstaff.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tashjian LM470 review requested
From: RWMaylott@aol.com
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 13:24:56 EDT
While I can't speak directly on Karl Tashjian's version of the LM470, about 4
years ago I bought the previous incarnation, manufactured by Paragon Mfg. and
distributed by First Call Communications.  Apparently all use the same dies,
jigs, and plans that were so successful by Tri-Ex in the 70's, except that
higher strength steel is used, thus increasing the ratings.  As I understand
it,
delivery and financial problems led to the demise of First Call.

I have had two problems of note:
1.  Although I have not heard of anyone else with this problem, I have a
problem with the mast binding.  I have "good" rotation over only about 180
degrees, despite numerous attempts to correct the problem (including getting an
extra
internal thrust bearing from Tashjian).  Don't know whether the top pipe may
be a little out of plumb, or whether the "floating" rotor mount used in this
design are contributing.
2.  I purchased the optional tilt over assembly; and unfortunately the crank
up motor extends over the pipe of this assembly, and I had to fabricate an
extra plate with 3 inch standoffs to get all to work.  Attempts to find a
shorter
motor (like were probably made 25 years ago) were fruitless.  It's one of
those things you have to see to really understand.

Otherwise, the tower works fine - I was glad to able to crank it down in
anticipation of "Isabel" recently and all survived FB.

Another consideration is that there is no means of adjustment on the base, so
I spent an extra grand to hire a concrete contactor to dig the hold and
ensure that the base got installed plumb.

           73, Dick, W2YE