Re: [TowerTalk] Using 3" Copper strap

To: "Jerry Keller" <k3bz@arrl.net>,"(Reflector) TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Using 3" Copper strap
From: "FireBrick" <w9ol@billnjudy.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 19:36:48 -0500
Being a REAL cheap sob, and not wanting to spend any money, I did it this
way.
I drove in the groundrod using a roto hammer.
I sawed off the slightly peened over top.
using a sawsall with a fine tooth metal cutting blade I sawed a kerf down
the rod aprox. 3".
In other words I 'ripped' the ground rod.
I placed my copper strip into the kerf and then drilled to holes through the
rod, copper, and other side of the rod and used brass screws, washers and
nuts.

The whole process to saw down the length of the rod and drill the clamping
holes only takes a few minutes.

After the first couple, I made myself a jig out of a piece of pipe that I
sawed a slot lengthwise the length I want the kerf in the rod to be.
Then I slip the jig over the ground rod, and use that as a guide for the saw
blade.
Didn't have to be quite as careful using the jig.