[TowerTalk] Rohn 25G Hardware

To: "Tower Talk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn 25G Hardware
From: "Hal Kennedy" <halken@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 14:52:07 -0400
Very interesting... my expensive failure-modes-and-effects testing began the
same way - a failed eyebolt at the bottom end of a guy wire.

I have developed a phobia over drop forged eyebolts and turnbuckles over the
years.  I still use them, but I also jump across them with a 'safety wire'
that is cable clamped to the guy ahead of the turnbuckle and wraps around
the back of the guy post.  The next time I lose something drop forged it
won't cost me the tower..

Hal
N4GG

>And I used the same experiment to demonstrate that SS bolts shear.  I still
>have the bolts.

>The failure point, BTW, was a drop forged eyebolt bolted into a concrete
>parapet horizontally, with the guy pulling upward on it (i.e. laterally)
>(max angle on the Rohn drawings).  When the tower went down, a few of the
SS