Re: [TowerTalk] Re: First Tower questions

To: Tower Talk <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Re: First Tower questions
From: Alan Beagley <ab2os@optonline.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 20:11:06 +0000
On 10/25/03 07:59 pm Paul Playford put fingers to keyboard and launched
the following message into cyberspace:

I believe pipe is measured by ID.  Stay away from pipe.  I use a 2"o.d. x
20' mast in my LM470.  My T2X rotator is perhaps 4 feet from the top of the
tower with a thrust bearing on top of the tower that supports the mast and
monoband 4 element yagis for 10, 15 & 20.  I aligned the thrust bearing by
rotating the mast (clamps loose on rotator) and adjusting the thrust bearing
so there is no mast to tower binding.  I suggest you use the longest mast
you can obtain because you will always wish you had.

But you have to take the length of the mast into account when calculating the wind loading (can't remember where I read this -- ARRL Antenna book??): the sq.ft. and force specs for the tower assume that the antenna is immediately at the top of the tower, not 10' or more above.

Alan AB2OS