Re: [TowerTalk] Largest 20M antenna

To: WILLIAMS <wilcom@netcon.net.au>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Largest 20M antenna
From: Joe Giacobello <k2xx@swva.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 18:43:09 -0500
Ian, I bet your stacked rhombics would give them a run for the money!

73, Joe

WILLIAMS wrote:

Without doubt the largest most effective 20M antennas were the 36 element arrays used at W6KPC and OH8OS. Both these arrays were fully rotatable and provided useful take-off angles. I personally viewed the arrays at both W6KPC and OH80S. The W6KPC array was most elegant both mechanically and electrically being mounted on a 200ft self supporting tower. The cross booms supporting the collinear yagis had large sections of fiber glass rod breaking them up. The OH8OS array used steel guy wires and continuous cross boom. It put out a good signal but there were some question marks regarding interaction with the guys and cross booms. Unfortunately both these antennas no longer exist. These were truly monster 20M antennas that really worked. The reality is they only provided a maximum of 3dB gain over the multi vertical non collinear stack. The mechanical difficulty of the collinear multi stack array is a big price to pay for 3dB, but it is a sight most pleasing to the eyes.

Ian VK3MO