Re: [TowerTalk] Looking for some thoughts on a rotor I bought

To: "Clary, Steve" <Steve_Clary@URMC.Rochester.edu>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Looking for some thoughts on a rotor I bought
From: "Michael Hatzakis, Jr" <mikehatzakis@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 07:43:10 -0800 (PST)
MFJ tailtwistter.  How many bolts does the rotor body have on it?  Then go to
the MFJ web site and verify.  I beelive tailtwister has six and the Ham IV has
four, I might have this wrong.

If it works, you got a great deal.  Even if it dosent, MFJ sells parts for it,
you can get a computerized interface for it, brake delay, there are lots of
mods and support out there for it.

Michael  K3MH

"Clary, Steve" <Steve_Clary@URMC.Rochester.edu> wrote:
Good morning all.

I have purchased a three sections of Rohn 25g and it came with a rotor. (I
paid $150.00 for all)

I need help identifying the rotor. The control box say T2X, it has three
momentary push levers (switches) in front (middle one says break). It also
has a directional meter and an on/off switch.

I have found a picture of the control box that looks close:
http://www.urmc.rochester.edu/steve/control_box.jpg

I have also found a picture of I believe a tailtwister rotor that looks like
mine : http://www.urmc.rochester.edu/steve/rotor.jpg.

So I believe that it is a tailtwister of some sort, but I think I have seen
someone call it a HAM 4 (or maybe HAM IV). Is there a difference?

Also, I took the rotor apart, and besides the bottom set of bearings looking
a bit rusted, all seems to be in good shape. I took out the bearings and
cleaned things nicely, then I used some marine (green) grease to lube them
back up. I applied the lube liberally, but then I found a comment on this
list about not using too much grease.

Is it important that I use only a minimal amount of grease? Should I take
it apart again and remove the majority of the grease? Is it important that
I use ay special grease?

I have noticed that the unit does not seem to be water tight. I can
understand the need for the bottom to be open to drain water, but what about
where to two halves join? Should there be a gasket of any type? Also, is
there anyway to project the terminals on the bottom from weathering?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. Oh, I have wired it up and it seems to
work fine.

Steve

Michael Hatzakis, Jr MD
Physiatrist, Treating Individuals with Neuromuscular Disabilities
Consultant, Information Technology Based Health Care Solutions