Re: [TowerTalk] hygain 205ca swr question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] hygain 205ca swr question
From: "Mel Martin" <ve2dc@rac.ca>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 11:49:19 -0500
I sure wish it was that easy!  no... it won't work... not even a meaningful
reading is possible that close to the ground.

Pointing it in the air, reflector down, will tell you if you are in the
ballpark, but you can't "tune" the antenna that way.

I just put up a 205CA yesterday 150' in the air on a guyed tower...

damn thing is resonant at 13.8 ????

A 105 and 155 we also put up are right on the money... I'm not sure where I
went wrong with the 205...

It works great, good pattern, just SWR too high... so I think I'll "fix" it
when the WX improves next Spring...

But in retrospect I wish I had done the "point in the air" thing... might
have spotted a problem.

BTW, I like EL34's also...

> I just put together my 205ca today and put it up on sawhorses in my
backyard.
Is this still too close to the ground to get an accurate reading?