RE: [TowerTalk] SteppIR ( was Hy-Gain quality since MFJ tookcontrol?)

To: richard@karlquist.com
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] SteppIR ( was Hy-Gain quality since MFJ tookcontrol?)
From: "N6KJ" <kelly@thejohnsons.ws>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 08:57:02 -0800 (PST)
I'll second N6RK's comments plus add a few of my own.

I just used a SteppIR for SS.  It was sure nice being able to flip the
beam 180 degrees in a couple seconds to work KH7X.  Also, my beam is
parked at 70 degrees (aimed at East Coast USA) most of the time.  I can
quickly and easily do a 180 shift and hit VK/ZL/KH6/Oceania without
rotating the yagi.

For me, being inconspicuous is important since the city I live in refuses
to permit towers.  Mine is a relatively small crankup which I keep nested
most of the time to avoid drawing attention.  Having 7 bands efficiently
available on a 3 element yagi is also very "neighbor friendly" and so
far has keep the local code enforcement officer away.  I seriously doubt
I would get away with a C31 or something similar.

The primary downside is that it takes longer to switch bands than if
you had separate antennas (or separate elements on one antenna) and you
can't run S02R with only one SteppIR.  Other than tha, it's a winner in
my book.