Re: [TowerTalk] 40 Meter Vertical Construction

To: "Macie, Gordon" <GMacie@innotrac.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 40 Meter Vertical Construction
From: "Jim White, K4OJ" <k4oj@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 17:46:07 -0500
FOR ME

I would step down the overlaps as you went yup - start with a longer overlap say 1 foot and decrease it by and inch or two with each downsizing...

The cumulative mechanical needs of the tubing are less as you go up - at the bottom all of the tubes are attached to the bottom one... the top piece does NOT have anything "after it"

CAUTION NO ENGINEERING CREDENTIALS ONLY A LIFETIME OF EXPOSURE TO AMATEUR RADIO

K4OJ

Macie, Gordon wrote:
I am building a 40 meter 4-square. I have decided to build it with aluminum
from Texas Towers. The bottom section will be 1.625 and reduce 1/8 per
section above that with the top peice being .875. How much do I need to
overlap or telescope into each section for mechanical strength ??.. I am
thinking 6 to 12 inches.

Blurb below from Texas Towers web site.
6063-T832 Drawn Aluminum Tubing Typical yield strength of 40,000 psi. The chart shows all available
telescoping sizes which are specifically designed to fit together precisely,
making antenna construction easy, while offering professional results.

Gordon N4LR n4lr@arrl.net