Re: [TowerTalk] Stuck tower

To: John Silberman <blkcat28@atlantic.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Stuck tower
From: dan bookwalter <n8dcj@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 08:35:02 -0800 (PST)
True storyy , luckily without a tragic ending...

a friend of mine had a 96ft Tri-Ex tower that he kept
in very good shape... had replaced the cable often and
kept up on all maintenance...

he decided that the tower needed a new coat of paint ,
as usual he had one of the guys from work coming over
to paint the tower (for $75)... anyway about 30 mins
before the guy was to show the tower owner went out to
crank the tower all the way, well just about the time
the tower was all the way up the cable broke... you
can imagine the damage to the tower, the TB6EM and the
2 11 element 2m yagis on top. thank god the cable
broke when the tower was being cranked up and not when
the painter was on the tower... after inspection it
was discoverd that the cable broke right where it
wrapped over a pulley... this tower was kept at the
same height most of the time and it took its toll on
the cable where it went over that pulley...

so a bucket truck doesnt seem so expensive to me....

Dan N8DCJ

http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree