Re: [TowerTalk] Re: [CQ-Contest]Leading zero on SSB

To: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com, TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Re: [CQ-Contest]Leading zero on SSB
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 13:08:33 -0800
I'd argue that phrases like "please copy" and leading zeros are designed to standardize the form of the communication, much as prosigns do in CW or headers in digital comm do. The "please copy" lets you know that the "exchange" is about to follow and to get ready to start writing.

I'd much rather have everyone, uniformly, send three or four digits, starting with 001, with digits spoken individually, and know that if I copied three digits, I got them all, than wonder if that was "nineteen" or "nine" with a static crash or QRM. Likewise the check digits and section. I'd rather have the check spoken as two digits, not as "fifty" (although, I grant you, "15" would be pretty unlikely... 31 was the oldest I heard)

How many times did you hear "Say again check and section" or "Say again sequence"?

I doubt that the second or two involved in using verbal prosigns materially changes anyone's score.

But then, I'm a rookie at this stuff. However, bear in mind that the hobby can only grow if new operators are encouraged, and standardized forms are a way to make that easier.

I was exceedingly pleased to hear contestors, giving out sequences in the high hundreds or thousands, slowly working through the exchange with a rookie, who was giving out sequences of 1 or 2. Even with repeats and explanations, the QSO still didn't take that long, and there's no question that the participant on the other end appreciates it, and will come away with a good feeling. This is particularly so when the propagation is marginal.

On the other hand, I wasn't so impressed by operators who, if they didn't get perfect copy on the first transmission of the exchange, abandonded the QSO and went on to the next. No "say again", no "please repeat".. just "CQ Contest, X1XX, QRZ?". Once or twice, you could attribute to fluke of propagation, but I heard some stations doing it over and over again. Maybe they didn't have the phrase programmed into the parrot?

But then, there's no accounting for taste.. Everyone has different styles and preferences, and a useful aspect of ham radio in general is that pretty much, you can do as you like.

Jim, W6RMK (with a monster 11 Q's in about 3 total hours of operating, but at least I know my antenna works on five bands now, and my daughter thought it was fun)