Re: [TowerTalk] Stainless Steel Hose Clamps on antenna elements

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Stainless Steel Hose Clamps on antenna elements
From: Doug Renwick <VE5RA@sasktel.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 21:27:02 -0600
Jack Schuster wrote:

> Has anyone else experienced SS hose clamps loosening?  Is it a matter of the
> no name brand?

I have never had a properly tightened hose clamp loosen.  And that statement
applies to both all SS and SS band/steel gear.  I usually allow the clamps to
cycle
over night and then go back and snug them up.  I spray WD40 or Liquid Wrench
on the gear before tightening and this usually saves the band from stripping.
Some
clamps are constructed such that on a small radius the tabs that hold gear in
place
will catch on the slots in the band and either cause the slots to be stripped
or give
the feel that the clamp is tight.  I always test the joint by grabbing the
smaller element with my hand and give it a strong twisting action.  If the
element twists then I go back and tighten the clamp some more.  When you
tighten the clamp you can
'feel' when you have gone too far and the clamp is about to be or is stripped.
I use
a small 5/16" four inch ratchet for tightening.

--
Doug Renwick VA5DX