Re: [TowerTalk] On the phase shift in current between ends of a coil

To: "Mark Beckwith" <mark@concertart.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] On the phase shift in current between ends of a coil
From: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 06:52:06 -0800
An admirable construction approach.  Your limited size elements are also not
so much shorter than full sized elements that the mutual coupling between
them is pretty much the same as the modeling tool assumed.

I suspect that if your requirement was to have elements no longer than 20
feet (i.e. dramatically shorter), you might not have gotten the performance
you'd expect.

On the other hand, if you had done a model with 20 foot elements, and great
big honkin loading coils, and simulated them as lumped elements in, e.g.
NEC, you'd probably be pretty much in the ballpark, and your strategy of
trimming the elements to the same resonant frequency would probably work,
fairly well.  You might get bitten because the Q of the loaded element will
be a lot higher than the Q of a unloaded element at the same frequency, so
the phase of the current in the element will change faster vs frequency,
which might screw up the phasing relationship among elements.