[TowerTalk] Rotor replacement

To: Towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rotor replacement
From: "Barry " <w2up@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 13:24:46 -0500
Hi all,
My Tailtwister has been acting up a bit (not bad for 13 years in
service) and I want to replace it with a spare I have.  It is mounted
down about 8 ft from the top flat plate (with a TB-3 bearing) in a
Rohn 45.  The mast is about 20 ft long with a TH7 up 6 inches and a
40-2CD at the top, about 9 ft above the TH7.

I want to make this as simple as possible, so have thought of the
following procedure:
If I simply remove the rotor from the plate, without doing anything
with the antennas or mast, the mast will lean until it hits a horiz.
strut on the a wall, which is a max. of 7.25 inches from center.
With 8 ft of mast below the TB-3, this amounts to a 4.3 degree
deflection (if my math is correct).

Questions:
1. Is there enough play in the TB-3 where this 4.3 degree out-of-
vertical is not a problem with respect to the bearing?
2. Assuming the lean is OK,  is there enough clearance between the
mast and diagonal struts to slip the rotor out (and the new one in)
between them without removing anything else, such as the rotor plate?

Any other thoughts or ideas to make this as simple as possible for a
one-man job, without jacking up the mast, etc?

Tnx,
Barry W2UP--