Re: [TowerTalk] Best Tuner Value...under $500 ??

To: "(Reflector) TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Best Tuner Value...under $500 ??
From: Bill Turner <wrt@dslextreme.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 16:54:51 -0800
On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 16:09:26 -0500, "Jerry Keller" <k3bz@arrl.net>
wrote:

>What I really SHOULD have asked  is this:  Does anyone have any ideas about
>the best value in an under $500 tuner that works well for 160M, 80M, and 40M?
> 73,  Jerry K3BZ

This may sound like I'm being flippant, but I'm not.

Two good tuners:

1.  The one built into your transceiver.  (Yours has one, right?)

2.  The pi-network built into your amplifier.

That's all I've ever needed.  My kilobucks come too hard to spend them
on tuners.  I spend the money on the antennas, getting them as close
to 50 ohms as possible, installing low loss coax and letting tuners 1
and 2 do the rest.

--
Bill, W6WRT