[TowerTalk] Low Band Verticals and metal roof ground planes

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Low Band Verticals and metal roof ground planes
From: "Paul Richards [VK3AJJ]" <vk3ajj@optushome.com.au>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 12:32:54 -0000
Hello All,

Nice to be back on TowerTalk.

I am keen to get back into some low band dxing (at this stage 40 and 80M)
and I am looking for some advice as to the best antenna to install.

My station is located on an industrial lot. I have access to the roof of a
large metal workshop which is about 10 metres wide by about 30-40 metres
long. My thought is to mount a vertical on this roof and to use the metal
sheeting as my groundplane arrangement. (Other than this roof top I have
little access to any other horizontal space - ie cannot lay out buried
radial system etc - the tower that supports my 30-40M beams is at one end of
(corner) of this metal roof and is about 16 metres high although my
preference would be not to involve this tower in my low band antenna plans).
The roof is about 4 metres high.

If my thoughts re installing a roof mounted vertical are sane - I have the
following questions:

Am I better off using a traditional quarter wave vertical or the vertical
dipole type design

Am I better off mounting the vertical above the roof and running tuned
radials above (say 1 metre above) the roof itself or should I use the roof
as the groundplane.

As my vertical radiator will be only about 12 metres high is the
desireability of base loading or top loading affected by using the roof as a
ground plane (ie which would be better)? I could also run an inverted L
config from the top of my 12 metre vertical section if this is considered a
better option.

In short there must be some way for me to use this expanse of metal roof (my
only area of significant horizontal space) to my advantage and thus all
ideas from the group are sought and appreciated.

Cheers

Paul (vk3ajj)