[TowerTalk] 160 Transmission Line ANT

To: <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 160 Transmission Line ANT
From: "Gene Bigham" <jbigham2@kc.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 08:25:12 -0600
I braved the cold and 10 inch snow fall here this weekend and started erecting
the 160 meter transmission line antenna described by Rappaport N9NB in the May
1985 CQ article recently posted on this forum.  Thank you to who ever put this
link up.  I have the shorted wire run to my tower at about the 9 foot high
level and down the tower leg to the ground rod and radial field under the tower
using insulated wire.  The open wire goes out to a small tree then to the back
fence where it drops to about the 6 foot level along the wooden fence top
across the back yard making a lazy L.  That is when I got too cold and just
dropped the 500 foot spool of wire on the ground and came in.  The rig's
internal tuner will load it but it is far from resonate yet.  That will be the
next step to cut the open end off around the 115 foot mark and then put the
analyzer on it and start pruning for resonance.  So far, I can copy WWV at
2.5MHz , 5.0Mhz, 10Mhz with strong signals as it stands now.  Have not heard
any amateur signals yet but have not tuned around much either.  Been calling CQ
on psk31 at 1.807 so time will tell if I make any contacts.
Again thanks to the one who posted this article earlier on this group, I have
never had any antenna for 160 to date, this may be the one.  Hope springs
eternal.
Gene Bigham KB0GU